|The Aula Maxima is part of the original layout of University College Cork and was constructed in 1847 to the designs of Dean and Woodward. |
At the request of University College Cork, John J. O’Connell Architects were commissioned to advise on the restoration and upgrading of this important historic building. It is noteworthy that this was the first planning application submitted concerning a ‘Protected Structure’ under the Planning Act 2000.
The interior and exterior of the Aula Maxima have been completely restored, using traditional materials and methods where appropriate. The works consisted of upgrading the services of the building, including mechanical, electrical and audio-visual and IT.
Shortlisted for the RIAI Silver medal for conservation in 2011