|Location:||Waterford City, Co. Waterford|
|Date:||Completed June 2011|
|Description:||The Bishop's Palace is part of a suite of C18th buildings, which includes Christ Church Cathedral and City Hall that adorn the Mall in Waterford. The Palace was designed and built in 1741 by the famous Richard Castle, on the site of the medieval palace and was the home of the Church of Ireland bishops of Waterford and Lismore until the early C20th. It then became a boy's school, and subsequently council offices. |
Waterford City Council commissioned John J. O'Connell Architects to carry out the complete restoration and re-presentation of the building as a museum to house the 'treasures of the Waterford City' from the 18th Century to the present day.
The original plan layout of the building was reinstated through the removal of the modern partitions and interventions to the building. The visitors guided tour commences in the Old Entrance Hall and continue by means of the Grand Staircase to the Principal Reception Rooms on the first floor. All of these rooms are presented as C18th and C19th rooms. The visitor then continues unaccompanied to the second floor level to the C20th exhibition galleries.
As many of the original chimneypieces were removed, much care and attention was paid by the client and architect, on acquiring appropriate original Irish C18th replacements, making the palace a model for the history of Irish chimneypieces also.
Shortlisted for the IGS Conservation Award 2012