Fota House is an exceptional Mansion House designed by the great Irish architects Sir Richard Morrison and his son William Vitruvius Morrison circa 1820.
John J. O’Connell Architects were commissioned to carry out a complete restoration of the interiors of the house at Ground Floor and First Floor level.
Before this project, Fota House was only accessible to the public on the ground floor and a small portion of the First Floor level was in use as offices. A key aspect of the project was to return the entire first floor to active use, with the most historically significant rooms re-opened to the public and new offices with ancillary facilities to be incorporated within the ‘servants wing’.
Particular attention was paid to maintaining the original plan layout of the building, whilst ensuring that any new interventions required were harmonious and did not have a negative effect on the historic structure.
Fota House is owned and run by The Irish Heritage Trust.
Shortlisted for the IGS Conservation Award in 2011